Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm just warming up

It's forecasted for the temperature to get up to at least 50° all this week! It was 70° yesterday! Huzzah! I opened every window in the apartment and let the wind blow everything around all afternoon. It felt so good to let that fresh air in.

Maybe the most pleasant part was the birds singing! There's a small creek and greenway about 50 feet away that attracts some semi-urban wildlife; one of the neighbors maintains a bunch of birdfeeders and a birdbath that gets a lot of visitors; and the robins just got back in town. I don't think I've seen so many damn robins in my life. They're on every patch of lawn they can find!

Now if only those evil flocks of crows would go away. Seriously, this town would have been a perfect filming location for Hitchcock's The Birds. So creepy.

Anyway - back to the beautiful weather. I celebrated by planting half a tray of Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce. I'm going to sow them in batches so I can have manageable sized crops. I also planted a few iris bulbs I kept in the fridge over the winter. I thought about putting them out earlier, but I was too afraid they'd be killed by the intense cold/exposure. I thought now would be a good time since I saw some daffodils starting to push up. So hopefully they'll survive. I had my drill out for another project, so I went ahead and drilled drainage holes in the white tub.


My hubby is on spring break this week. I'm really hoping he'll help me build and seal the planter boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment