Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ichiban eggplant blooms and babies

I am completely, perfectly, and radiantly in love with eggplant blossoms. The way the light shines through and highlights the wrinkles; the contrast between the dark, solid purple stem, delicate and rumpled lavender petal and glowingly yellow stamens. Someone should breed an eggplant for the flowers instead of the fruits.


Not that the fruits aren't nice. And here's a photo of the first one of the year! Ichiban (Japanese) eggplants are long and slender, not bulb/egg-shaped. They're supposed to have a sweeter flavor and do well in containers. Though it looks like I might have to stake them. They're growing kind of crooked.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I grew eggplant for the first time last year and was also taken by the lovely flowers. They almost remind me of crepe paper in a way.

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. you give me the impulse to go buy an eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggplant flowers are lovely - also, they remind me of my summers working at the vegetable farm. The first year, they had an entire greenhouse full of eggplants, so I saw a lot of the flowers.

    I want my own balcony so I can grow eggplants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful picture! I am surprised they haven't made an eggplant flower...I bet if you sent them this picture they would!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must be so exciting - to see such deep purple turn into such a luscious vegetable. I will keep in mind Iciban for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! Congratulations, and enjoy the food!

    ReplyDelete