Monday, January 5, 2009

Why I'm starting a garden.

Question: What's a 5 year professional Landscape Architecture/Environmental Studies degree get you in an economy where nobody wants to build anything?

Answer: squat

Other problems:
  • I spend all day at a desk job but I love the outdoors. (Though I do like my job)
  • I miss the taste of homegrown food (except when I get wonderful goodies from my grandma or my dad.)
  • I can never have enough plants.
  • I can't afford the quality local produce sold at the farmer's markets and I don't like the idea of supporting the trucking of food to IOWA (one of the most fertile places in the world) from all over the world.
  • I live in a 1+ bedroom apartment with my husband and the only private outdoor access is a tiny 6'x8' deck. And he's already claimed a bit for his grill!

Solution: Grow food. And grow it cheap.


This blog will chronicle me starting a garden in the teeniest of spaces, with the teeniest of budgets, and with an environmentally aware attitude. I'll share what I spend, how I did everything, where I got stuff, and if it was all worth it at the end of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment