Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Strawberry leaf spot and Japanese beetles



I noticed this little beetle on my green beans last night. I promptly squished him. Look at what he did!

Jerk.



After looking around some more I found a dozen making their way through the strawberry plants. I squished them too. A couple got away, but I sprinkled garlic powder over everything hoping that would keep them away.

I checked this morning and didn't see any more. So hopefully the garlic was good enough. But, I'm keeping my eyes open.

 

Actually the strawberries got a double-whammy…they also have what I think is strawberry leaf spot.
So, I'm off to the garden center for an organic fungicide.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you can make a Fungicide out of baking soda.I got this recipe off the net:

    Recipe - Baking Soda Fungicide


    Mix 4 teaspoons (about 1 rounded tablespoon) of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of horticultural oil into one gallon of water. Spray lightly on foliage of plants afflicted with black spot, powdery mildew, brown patch and other fungal diseases. Avoid over-using or pouring on the soil. Potassium bicarbonate is a good substitute for baking soda. Citrus oil and molasses can be used instead of horticultural oil.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Any olive or veg oil would be okay or instead of the oil use dish wash liquid , this part just helps it stick to the plant.I don't think I use molasses , that would attract bees.
    ~Myrna
    ps Your garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete