Friday, May 14, 2010

Balcony garden update — after a LOT of rain

I'm not kidding when I say it rained for a week. Actually, looking at the weather history for May it's more like 2 weeks of rainy/cloudy weather. Check that link, then scroll about halfway down and check out that calendar. Don't let those little sunshine cliparts fool you; it's been absolutely dismal recently. But today the sun was out, pots dried out a little, and it actually feels like May!


click to enlarge

Hey! It actually looks like a garden again!



Lemon verbena, rosemary, and sage
The lemon verbena is super delicate. Seems every careless movement on my part results in it dropping a little cluster of leaves. The rosemary is gorgeous though (photo doesn't do it justice), and the sage looks just as fantastic as it did inside all winter.


Oregano, Greek oregano (in the back), and lemon thyme
The oreganoes are doing ok. I'm considering cutting back the lemon thyme to get it to put out some new, lush leaves.


Spearmint, peppermint, and marjoram
Bring on the mojitos!

Black-seeded Simpson lettuce
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm


Ichiban eggplant.
Allegedly it does well in containers. I have 4 plants in different locations. We'll see how they do...


Peas
They didn't mind the rain. Now they're almost too tall for their stakes. I'll have to do something about that this weekend.


This year the "big planter" is full of flowering annuals that take part shade (which they'll get with the overhead planters taking most of the direct sun.)
The back edge is densely seeded with nasturtiums, I bought some cosmos seedlings, violas, and coleus. Oh, and there's 2 eggplants in the back. I'm not sure how they'll do with the part-sun, but their roots will have plenty of room.


Cosmos seedlings (from the free Renee's Garden seeds) and one lone pea that sprouted out of an old packet of seeds.


"Spitfire" nasturtiums are hanging in there. I don't think they liked all the rain, but they haven't died either.


These are a new bunch of strawberries. My plants from last year didn't live, so they went in the compost. They probably died because we had one of the worst winters on record. So, I'm trying to not beat myself up about it.


Also, the carrots have a whole container planted already, but it still just looks like a pot of dirt. I still need to (buy and) plant bunching onions and bush beans. Hope I can manage that this weekend. :D

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I long for a fish eye... and a digital Nikon.
    Love the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect little oasis. Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob - I'd love a fish eye lens, too. To get wide shots I have to take a bunch of pictures and merge them together with photoshop! And thanks!


    Thanks, shell!

    ReplyDelete