Friday, June 12, 2009

Herbs








I'm inspired by Avis who recently shared how she laid out and planted a couple planters. She organized hers by size so her planters would be symmetrical. I'd like to share the details of how I organized my herbs.



I have two 20" long window boxes for my 'dry' herbs - those appreciate a few dry spells in between watering. In these I have:
  • Thyme
  • Lemon Thyme
  • Sweet Marjoram
  • Variegated Oregano
  • Sage
  • Spicy Basil
  • Cinnamon Basil
  • Red Basil
  • Lavender
  • Violets (edible flowers) - to fill in the empty spaces.
  • Nasturtiums (edible leaves + flowers) - to hang over the edge of the balcony.
  • Chives - a few seeds strayed and popped up...I think I'll leave them be. 


The herbs that like to stay a little more moist are in a big tub:

Orange Menthe --- Cilantro --- Anise

Pineapple Sage --- Borage --- Oregano



In private pots
  • Sweet Basil (in really big tub because there wasn't room for it anywhere else)
  • Lemon Verbena (so I can bring it in during the winter, and it likes to be dry between watering.)
 
  • Stevia (so I can bring it in during the winter, and it needs to stay moist)
  • Rosemary (in a terra cotta pot because it likes to dry out and I can bring it in during the winter)
  • Peppermint
  • Spearmint (the mints need to stay separate so they don't overrun everything else.)


  • Chives (2 kinds - regular and garlic - each gets 1/2 the pot) The regulars haven't sprouted much...
I really packed them in, but I don't really have the luxury of spacing them out and letting them grow in...I just don't have the space! I really like the impact of how lush everything seems, anyway.

6 comments:

  1. I planted 2 pots of chives and nothing came up. have no idea what I did to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Basil is very popular in my balcony garden, too. I love the way you superimposed the plant names over the photo... How'd you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fascinated by all the plants you are growing in tubs on your balcony. Everything looks wonderful and you are so creative with a such a small space. So glad I stopped by for a visit. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something to be said for gardening in limited space -- sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how much I have to do in my still mostly bare yard -- and while I'm planting native, drought-hardy plants, I still have to water them to get them established and it takes soooo long. Your herb garden looks lovely -- I am enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those herbs all look so healthy and lush! Did you buy them "pre-grown," or start them all from seed (indoors or outdoors?)? All my herbs are still tiny. We've had so much stinking rain, though, and they might be missing the sun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Sue - That's a bummer. I heard they're hard to grow from seed, so I had some misgivings about trying. It's really strange how one variety had such good germination, but the other has so few seedlings. I might have to go buy an established pot after all....

    @ Avis - I used Photoshop :)

    @ Ellie Mae's Cottage - Thanks!

    @ Meridith - Thanks!

    @ AJSR - I bought them all pre-grown. I tried seeds, but most of the herb seedlings didn't sprout, or just died. The only seeds I'm managing to succeed with are the vegetables, chives and nasturtiums.

    ReplyDelete