Friday, October 9, 2009

Cinnamon Carrot Soup

Had the night off (first time in 3 weeks) so I spent about 5 hours cooking!  So I'll have lots of recipe posts next week :D

I harvested one of the tubs of carrots.  The were so big and plump and juicy.  Not as flavorful as I'd like.  But they were better than grocery store baby carrots in a bag.

And the piggies got to enjoy the tops.  Of course I didn't give them all the tops. It'd have made them sick!  So I saved the extras by putting them in a cup of water and stashing it in the fridge.

So I had all that fresh carrot...what to do with them though?  Well it's fall, and kinda chilly, which put me in the mood for soup, and I've had some serious cinnamon cravings lately.  Cinnamon in apple cider, cinnamon candy... I figured it was time for something a tad more healthy.




 Cinnamon Carrot Soup
• 6-8 cups fresh carrots, scrubbed
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 6 garlic cloves
• 4 cups skim milk
• 1/2 block of tofu
• 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp cloves
• salt + pepper to taste



I scrubbed the carrots and cut the tops off, then cut them in half.  Put them on a baking sheet with a sliced onion and the garlic (still in the husks), spray some Pam and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Bake in 350˚ oven for 1 hour. 












Allow to cool for a minute, peel the garlic, add all ingredients to food processor and blend. I got the tofu idea from fresh365's post on broccoli cheddar soup.
Garnish with cinnamon.

I didn't bother to put it back on the stove to heat up.  Just threw single servings in the microwave and put the rest in the fridge for later.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin!
    Great recipe, will surely try and come back to tell you how it turned out.
    Some pictures seem missing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    I messed up my Flickr. Trying to switch to Picasa and re-link everything.
    :`(

    ReplyDelete