3 hours ago
Friday, October 2, 2009
It's the best part of my garden. If I could grow nothing else, or only had room for one pot. That is what I would grow. Why?
1. It's easy — Buy a bulb from the grocery store. Separate the cloves. Stick them in the ground. Water and wait.
2. You don't need a lot of room. Got a couple square inches of bare soil? It grows tall and skinny, so there's no worries about overcrowding.
3. It's delicious — It had a really wonderful garlic flavor, but it's not as intense. So it's also really nice for raw food that calls for garlic. Plus, if you do cook it, it gets sweeter!
4. It's a great garnish — Since it's such a bright, intense green color it looks just as cool as chives.
5. You can't find it in grocery stores. (Maybe specialty stores, but I've never seen it, and who wants to pay specialty store prices anyway?)